[coreboot] coreboot community meeting minutes for March 16th, 2017

ron minnich rminnich at gmail.com
Fri Mar 17 18:17:27 CET 2017

This one surprised me:

"Get Clang going again - what do we need to do to get it going?"

So, as of a few months ago, after long discussion, the decision as I
understood it was to make us GNU11, not C11. I went back and reviewed the
discussion, and that was how it seemed to come out.

Disclaimer: I help lead a kernel project (Harvey) which builds a working
kernel under 3 versions of clang and 3 versions of gcc. It's not easy but
it's not rocket science to make it go. We've derived a lot of benefit from
making that work; each compiler finds errors the others miss. Tannenbaum is
a strong advocate for confirming to C11, and compiling under many
compilers, not, as he calls it, "GCC version of C".

I would be a lot happier were we decide to stop using GNU features in our
codebase, but IIUC, we've made an explicit decision to continuing doing so.
Given that, how does Clang fit in to our future?

ron