[coreboot] coreboot community meeting minutes for March 16th, 2017

Martin Roth gaumless at gmail.com
Fri Mar 17 17:12:44 CET 2017

Here are the meeting minutes of yesterday's coreboot community meeting.
Info about the next meeting (March 31) is at the bottom.

# Thursday, March 16, 2017

General coreboot news & discussions
 * Next coreboot release - 4.6 - scheduled for mid april
 * What to do about regression about serial console and some AMD
boards (Asus M2V)?
   - … concerning next release
     - The next release will happen in april with or without
regressions.  It can be delayed 2 weeks from mid april to the end of
april.  So we've got 4-6 weeks to find and fix issues if we want them
to be fixed in the next release.
 * What do we do if the commit introducing the regression is found,
and cannot be easily reverted?
   - Fix it?
 * libgfxinit is working on Haswell / will replace C code for Peppy/Falco
   - Need to update the coreboot builders to add ADA toolchain

Infrastructure Issues & News
 * Get Clang going again - what do we need to do to get it going?
   - There are some patches that list the directories to the intrinsic
functions, these don't work, so we get errors on division and
something else.  It's been a while since Martin worked on it, so he
can't quite recall.
     - can we look into adding the intrinsics directly into the coreboot source?
 * coreboot updated the toolchain - Please rebuild yours.
 *Jenkins was updated to version 2.32.3 & the plugins
 * Added new builder "BoringBuilder" - Managed by Philipp.  This
builder is still occasionally having hiccups, we're trying to stay on
top of failed builds while we're figuring out the builder failures.
 * We've updated the log retention policy for coreboot-gerrit builds.
All build results will be kept for 45 days.  Previous policy removed
logs after 500 builds or 21 days.  At 50 builds a day (or more) on a
busy weekday, this meant that logs were only kept for 10 days.
 * The main coreboot server locked up March 15 and needed to be reset.
We will be moving pieces over to a new server that we've already got
in place.  Philipp has volunteered to help with this if needed.
 * Looking forward to easing GNAT (GCC's Ada frontend) build.
 * REACTS throws occasional test failures (false negatives) on the
KGPE-D16.  This may be related to the suspected race condition
somewhere in the coreboot console; the logs sent support this by
locking up end somewhat randomly in the middle of serial output.
Raptor plans to investigate further later this month / early next.
Per Martin the KGPE-D16 is not the only board known to be affected by
random hangs related to console / serial - This was also seen during
the bringup of the camelback mountain board.

Development
* How do we feel about changing the coding style to move constants in
comparisons to the left side?  if (0 == x) instead of (x == 0)
   - The argument for doing this was that this style finds errors in
any environment
   - Ron is very opposed.
   - There's compiler support for finding the issues this exposes
(namely if (x = 0)), which is more robust than a weird style guide.
   - Concluded that this will be left up to the individual developer,
and to disable the checkpatch check.
* libgfxinit has a new Linux user-space test tool
* libpayload: Mouse cursor patches submitted, needs reviews
  - Tested using cbui payload
* SeaVGABIOS: Improved Windows support, needs some more asm magic to finalize
 - Windows now works with native graphics init

Conference news
* Both homepages are WIP.  Philipp will fix some issues today.
* We are searching for Sponsors of the ECC'17, feel free to contact
zaolin at coreboot.org if you know companies who might be interested in
joining us.

Interesting External news items
 * AMD, Ryzen & coreboot - Will AMD be more open?
    - https://twitter.com/Snowden/status/837367956229206016
    -https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/5x4hxu/we_are_amd_creators_of_athlon_radeon_and_other/def5h1b/
    - https://www.golem.de/news/freie-firmware-amd-prueft-coreboot-support-fuer-ryzen-1703-126524.html
    - This will take some time until they respond or they'll ignore us.
    - Comments from bridgman (closest thing we have to an "inside
source") are not promising, but shed light on why the PSP is closed /
locked:
      https://www.phoronix.com/forums/forum/software/bsd-mac-os-x-hurd-others/938051-intel-to-increase-engagement-with-freebsd-makes-250k-donation?p=938297#post938297
    - AMD does not seem to be aware that the technologies required to
secure open systems are already becoming available from at least two
third parties (Raptor Engineering, possibly Google) -- how to make
them aware?
        - More to the point -- need to show open, secure systems are
profitable or investment in the required new technology will not be
made by AMD!

Next meeting is March 31, 2017
Check the coreboot calendar for the time in your timezone
https://www.coreboot.org/calendar.html

Join using the bluejeans web app or the phone bridge:
    https://bluejeans.com/616384323

Phone bridge call in numbers:  https://www.bluejeans.com/numbers
    Meeting ID: 616384323

Current agenda & history: