[coreboot] Crowdfunding Status for KGPE-D16 BMC Port Offer

Patrick 'P. J.' McDermott pj at pehjota.net
Wed Mar 8 03:29:11 CET 2017

On 2017-03-07 at 04:29, Taiidan at gmx.com wrote:
> Today I noticed a new stretch goal about flashrom support (kinda late in
> the game), it seems pretty important to have this so I think that the
> stretch goal funding should be extended.

Fortunately, that stretch goal is now already funded.

> I had assumed that the BMC firmware would be stored in and loaded from
> the main coreboot flash image, or that there would be a shim loader
> installable on the bmc firmware module that would (as the BMC has DMA)
> load the firmware from memory for easy updating.

No, it's loaded from a Spansion S25FL128P flash chip on the (quite
simple) ASMB4 board:

    https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81ALFe4U3CL._SL1500_.jpg

(It looks like the board is just a way for ASUS to sell copies of the
BMC firmware separately from the mainboard.)

> The requiring of the firmware module may be a problem for some people
> because apparently there are two different SKU's from asus one of which
> didn't ship with it and no retailers sell it separately.
>
> Also, If the stretch goal doesn't get funded is it possible to perform a
> "clean" flash with a test clip?

Yes, the S25FL128P on the BMC board is in a SOIC-16 package, and it's in
flashrom's flashchips struct.  And there's nothing else on the board's
power rail that could cause problems with ISP.  So I see no reason why
flashing with a test clip wouldn't work.

--
Patrick "P. J." McDermott:  http://www.pehjota.net/
Lead Developer, ProteanOS:  http://www.proteanos.com/