[coreboot] coreboot community meeting minutes for March 2, 2017

Martin Roth gaumless at gmail.com
Fri Mar 3 02:49:53 CET 2017

Here are the meeting minutes of today's coreboot community meeting.
Info about the next meeting (March 16) is at the bottom.

# Thursday, March 2nd, 2017

General coreboot news & discussions

 * coreboot was not accepted for GSoC 2017.
   - Google has updated their policy, so that students can only
participate two times.

 * Next release coreboot 4.6 - Roughly April 15th. An announcement
should be made on the mailing list around the time of the next
community meeting.
   - Philipp wants to fix the verified toolchain patch until we do the release.

 * coreboot granted 'BOOT' ID for ACPI -
http://www.uefi.org/ACPI_ID_List?search=boot

 * Mailing list poll about coreboot switching from the mailing list to
a forum: https://goo.gl/9Hd569
   - Around 40 answers so far.  Poll closes tomorrow - Martin will
post results over the weekend.

 * New coreboot specific payload: cbui -
https://www.coreboot.org/pipermail/coreboot/2017-February/083454.html
   - source: https://github.com/siro20/coreboot/tree/cbui

 * board status uploads are still only a few boards.  How do we improve usage?
   - Add more documentation
   - publicize iso used for testing boards
   - Add option to push commands to the remote system to make it easier to use
   - Archive old commits to help bring down the size of the repo.  Do
a shallow checkout to reduce the amount of data downloaded.

 * Project Management, Transparency and Integration of services.
   - What's about something like phabricator. Making things easier for
us and providing same review features like the gerrit.
https://www.phacility.com/
   - What's the advantage?  Why do we want to tear down all of the
existing infrastructure and set up new?  Why right now?  Who's going
to do this?
     - Integration of the current system could be better, but gerrit
is relatively standard, so it might not be good for companies to swith
to a new system.
     - switch to github & gerrithub.io?
     - Test phabricator on a separate small project before trying to
move all of coreboot to it.
     - Needs to be discussed with coreboot leadership.

 * Organizational issues. We need more people doing coreboot
organizational related stuff.
   - How do we get more people who are interested in helping with the
non-coding aspects of running the project?

coreboot Conference news

* What is the Future of conferences in the USA regarding traveling restrictions
   - Martin, Ron, and Stefan discussed moving the conferences outside
of the USA for next year.  The conclusion that was reached was that
doing that would just prevent people inside the USA who couldn't
easily return after leaving from going to any conference.

 * coreboot conference website structure is finished.

 * ECC17 is online via ecc2017.coreboot.org, dates and locations are clear.

 * Denver conference page will be forked from ECC17 page and set up
this weekend.

 * ACC17 (American coreboot conference 2017) - Catering set up &
Location officially reserved.

Infrastructure Issues & News

* Enable checkpatch.pl as gate keeper to block non-compliant patches?
   - Martin feels that this isn't realistic until checkpatch.pl
actually passes on the current tree.  Can we work towards that?
   - Add a "lint" flag that isn't a gating item, but can signal that
there's an issue which should be looked at.
   - Clean up the codebase and then enable specific items?
     - Run on include first and clean that, then work our way up.
   - Need to exclude vendorcode from being tested.

 * Documentation project: Will be set up at coreboot.org/docs -
Working on that this weekend and upcoming weeks.
   - We will take the new system live before deleting the old documentation.
   - Hugo supports markdown, asciidoc, and restructuredtext (ReST)

 * Updating to new toolchain this weekend. PLEASE TEST YOUR BOARDS.
   - See this for instructions:
https://www.coreboot.org/pipermail/coreboot/2017-January/082883.html
   - Updated toolchain patch: https://review.coreboot.org/#/c/17189/

Development

 * We need more people doing review and merging patches that are ready
to be pushed into the master.
   - Looking at adding a couple more submitters to help merge other
people's commits

Interesting External news items

 * Chemnitzer Linux days 2017 - https://chemnitzer.linux-tage.de/2017/en
   - Paul will be giving a presentation on coreboot.  If it's
recorded, we'll link to it.

 * Raptor's OpenBMC campaign has been funded to the minimum level.
   - https://www.raptorengineering.com/coreboot/kgpe-d16-bmc-port-offer.php

 * http://www.intelsecurity.com/advanced-threat-research/content/data/REConBrussels2017_BARing_the_system.pdf
   - Security issues, do we have a cve tracker ???
     - Philipp can set something up when he has some time.

Next meeting is March 16, 2017
Check the coreboot calendar for the time in your timezone:
https://www.coreboot.org/calendar.html

Join using the bluejeans web app or the phone bridge:
    https://bluejeans.com/616384323

Phone bridge call in numbers:  https://www.bluejeans.com/numbers
    Meeting ID: 616384323

Current agenda & history: