[coreboot] soc/amd/stoneyridge

Taiidan at gmx.com Taiidan at gmx.com
Wed Jun 14 01:01:18 CEST 2017

I don't think that trying to support every 10+ year old board is worth
it, but at least a few from each genre (desktop, server/workstation and
embedded) should be required to be ported for a style change to occur
rather than everything simply abandoned as there wasn't anyone willing
to update it.

AFAIK as of now every non-development AMD board will be dropped in a few
release cycles, I am not a firmware developer but I can't understand as
to how a code style change makes that worth it especially considering
many of those are the last and latest owner controlled x86 devices.

In terms of vendor support (for the very few that do that); the majority
of coreboot boards are in the expensive server or the embedded category
so I don't think that it is unreasonable to expect the hypothetical
vendor that releases code and advertises coreboot support to directly
support for both initial release equivalent functionality and security
it for 2x the hw warranty (as that is generally a useful life for most
hardware)

The "standard" 3 and now even 1 year update lifecycle that comes with
hardware is creating a massive internet security issue.