[coreboot] GRUB boot menu is not showing GRUB2

Dhanasekar Jaganathan jdhanasekarmca at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 14:52:53 CEST 2017

Hi Nico,

>where do you expect to see the menu? a display? a serial console? In the
>former case, I expect you have to add a Video BIOS to your coreboot.rom
>(CONFIG_VGA_BIOS) and configure coreboot to run it (CONFIG_VGA_ROM_RUN).
>If you use a discrete gfx card, you don't need to add the VBIOS, it
>would be read from the card. In the latter case, GRUB has to be confi-
>gured to use the serial port, as Mariusz pointed out.

>I'm a little confused here, did you add an etc/grub.cfg to the CBFS? You
>didn't say so but I wouldn't expect it to boot otherwise. If you have,
>can you please share this grub.cfg.

I am using a serial console for *DISPLAY*.
I am not adding *grub.cfg* through *etc/grub.cfg*.
When I booted the board with other vendor BIOS, I have copied*
/boot/grub2/grub.cfg*  from fedora OS and using this grub.cfg in coreboot.
I have mentioned the location of grub. cfg in menuconfig *(Payload ->
Include GRUB2 runtime config file into ROM image). *

I have attached the same.

>> In */boot/default/grub*, I have changed* GRUB_TIMEOUT = -1* ( which stops
>> the system indefinitely at boot menu in GRUB2). Still system is not
>> stopping at boot menu.

>AFAIK, this file only works as input to `grub-mkconfig`. You'd still
>have to generate a grub.cfg with it and configure the GRUB payload to
>use it.

when ever I modify */etc/defualt/grub*, I will run *grub2-mkconfig -o
/boot/grub2/grub.cfg*.
I forget to mention this in my previous mail.

>You have set CONFIG_ROM_SIZE and CONFIG_CBFS_SIZE to the same value
>(8MiB). This is wrong. coreboot shares the flash chip with other Intel
>firmware components (Firmware Descriptor (IFD), ME firmware etc.). Be-
>side other configuration, the IFD partitions the flash chip in regions.
>coreboot's CBFS lives in the BIOS region and should be at most of this
>region's size. You can decode the descriptor with `ifdtool -d ...` (you
>can find it in util/ifdtool/ in the coreboot source).

After setting, CONFIG_CBFS_SIZE = 6MB,  I can able to build coreboot and I
am not getting below issue,

 *lzma: Decodeing error = 1*
 *Payload not loaded.*

Is it correct to set 6MB size for CONFIG_CBFS_SIZE?.

Please correct me, If I am wrong and Provide your suggestions.

Thanks,
Dhanasekar