[coreboot] Is Coreboot architecture dipendent ?

ron minnich rminnich at gmail.com
Sun Jul 23 20:12:00 CEST 2017

On Sun, Jul 23, 2017 at 9:02 AM ingegneriaforense at alice.it <
ingegneriaforense at alice.it> wrote:

> Please, can you tell me if Coreboot is motherboard architecture dependent
> or simply I can download it, compile and flash the .rom file in the Bios
> chip ?

no. no no no no no.

How many spare BIOS chips do you have? You need at least 2.

Coreboot is board dependent. And in some cases, you can take two boards
with the same exact part number, made two different days, and one will work
and one will not.

Welcome to the PC world.

If you have a new board, with a new chipset, and it's intel, assume it will
take a good solid 6 months to a year if you have done this before.

coreboot is not a kernel. You don't just load it like you do an OS.

> I will do the first test on a PC with motherboard: MSI MS-7168 ver. 1C
> mounting an AMD Athlon 64 Processor.

I don't see this mainboard in the source tree. This means you have a long
way to go before it can work. If you have not done this before you should
start with an already supported board.

> Is it necessary I compile Coreboot on the PC where I want to install it ?

no

> Is Coreboot RAM dependent ? That is, can I start-up the PC with only the
> Processor and the BIOS chip, without RAM and hard-disk ?

what do you expect to do without RAM?

You need to experiment with coreboot in qemu before you start working on
hardware.

ron