[coreboot] Discussion about fixing dead code / ACPI TRAP

Nico Huber nico.h at gmx.de
Thu Jul 6 23:09:47 CEST 2017

On 06.07.2017 17:37, Peter Stuge wrote:
> Stefan Reinauer wrote:
>> (it was just copy-catted around from my original i945 implementation)
>> But I don't think that we should remove the knowledge from the code base.
>
> So it is a technology showcase and not required code.

It might have started as a showcase but at least for the T60/X60
ThinkPads it looks like working code (Patrick also mentioned that).
They implement lots of docking handling and some brightness control
in SMM. It's not necessary to do it in SMM. But the C code is needed
anyway (to initialize the superio in the dock during boot, to have
serial), so nobody is going to rewrite it in ASL.

I suppose as long as nobody is going to remove it, we won't need
an extra showcase (I don't think it's a good example, using the
I/O trap into SMM, but that's a different story).

Nico