[coreboot] GRUB2 is not displaying Hard disk (hd0) partition

Nico Huber nico.h at gmx.de
Wed Jul 5 23:15:23 CEST 2017

Hi Dhanasekar,

On 05.07.2017 16:23, Dhanasekar Jaganathan wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> In GRUB2 command prompt, I am not seeing hard disk partitions like *(hd0),
> (hd0,msdos1),* Instead I am seeing* (ahci4), (ahci4,msdos1).*

the (hd*) numbering refers to those disks the BIOS has enumerated and
provides drivers for. You'd see them like this when you use SeaBIOS and
let it load a GRUB built for i386-pc.

> Usually, GRUB2 will list all the drives that coreboot presents to it. I
> think coreboot presenting drives in "AHCI" (not in "hd) format. So that
> GRUB2 displaying drives in AHCI format.

With GRUB as payload (I suppose that's your case), there is no BIOS that
presents disks and coreboot doesn't do such thing. So GRUB does what an
OS would do, load an AHCI driver and probe the disks by itself.

> Correct me, If I am wrong.
>
> Is there any changes to do in menuconfig?
> Can you please help me to solve this issue?.
> Please provide your comments.

You can get used to the (ahci*) numbering, or in case you need to sup-
port both schemes with the same config file: My default `grub.cfg`
generated by grub-mkconfig works around these differences with the
`search` command (see `info grub search`). For instance, it can set the
`root` variable to a partition found by its filesystem's UUID, e.g.:

    search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root
ad4103fa-d940-47ca-8506-301d8071d467

Hope that helps,
Nico