[coreboot] How to reduce formal issues with new contributions from corporations?

Stefan Reinauer stefan.reinauer at coreboot.org
Mon Feb 27 22:37:45 CET 2017

* Paul Menzel via coreboot <coreboot at coreboot.org> [170226 14:37]:
> Dear coreboot folks,
[..]
> My impression is though, that a lot of these contributions have formal
> issues in the beginning. As the coding style and the commit message
> guide lines are well documented in our Wiki [1][2], and there are even
> scripts checking commits, the developers starting to work on coreboot
> just don’t seem to know about this.
>
> How can this be improved?

Hi Paul,

there is definitely a learning curve involved with people new to the
coreboot community. Thank you for pointing that out. Do you have a few
such examples of what you mean? That will make it much easier to address
these issues, than having to try and reach out to a large sub group of
coreboot community members with fairly vague feedback.

> Could the companies make sure, that there developers read those, and
> use the scripts?

Just like on the non-commercial side of the project, the people involved
in coreboot through their respective corporations are not necessarily a
single entity. I know of several independent groups at both Intel and
Google, that are contributing to coreboot. So while we might all share
the second half of our email addresses, that might be as far as the
similarities and overlaps go (and that's a great thing for coreboot).

Also, the list of contributors is continuously growing. Please be patient
with these folks, and continue to treat them like you would treat any
other individual in the coreboot community. I'm sure most of these folks
appreciate your mentorship on these issues.

> Should this documentation be moved to the repository? A lot of the
> “guideline Wiki pages” are locked anyway. People knowing the Linux
> kernel, would expect that to also live in the source code repository?

Yes, I am in favor of moving relevant documentation into the source
tree, as I believe that we should obsolete the wiki all together.

Stefan