[coreboot] QA: Properly relay results of `checkpatch.pl` check

Martin Roth gaumless at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 00:47:25 CET 2017

Hi Paul,
  checkpatch is currently not a gating item in jenkins and should always
pass right now.  The checkpatch build was added to jenkins to allow people
to see at the results of the console output for the patch without having to
download and run checkpatch themselves.

Unfortunately, checkpatch is a lot stricter than we want to be.  It would
require someone who fixes a misspelling on a line to also fix any other
mistakes on that line.  Because of this, we don't want to fail the patch
based on checkpatch errors styleguide issues.  We had discussed adding a
non-failing 'lint' flag to gerrit to notify people that checkpatch was
failing so that they could go look at it, but due to people's workloads,
this hasn't happened yet.  Honestly, it's probably fallen off the radar.

Personally, I still think it's a bad idea to refuse patches that don't pass
checkpatch, but I'd be glad to discuss it.

Also, the error you mentioned WAS noticed, and fixed in a follow-on patch
so that it could be pulled back into the chromium tree.

Martin