[coreboot] T520 2630QM 16GB DIMM

Arthur Heymans arthur at aheymans.xyz
Tue Feb 21 17:45:14 CET 2017

Thomas Richter <coreboot at tricnet.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Zitat von Arthur Heymans <arthur at aheymans.xyz>:
>
>>> TL;DR - Has anybody either successfully used 16GB DDR3 modules on
>>> SandyBridge, can rule it out, or has ideas about how to dig deeper?
>>
>> According to Sandy bridge datasheets only up to 4GB DDR3 technology is
>> supported, which makes it possibly to use dimms with 2 ranks, with each
>> rank having a capacity of 4GB, hence max 8GB per DIMM.
>> This is a hardware limitation.
>
> Thank you for your answer. That's what I also read, but here it is
> stated that some Asus Sandy Bridge boards support such modules:
>
> http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/first-8gb-ddr3-components-and-16gb-unbuffered-dimms--so-dimms-by-im-intelligent-memory-266613731.html
>
> Is Sandy Bridge E so different from Sandy Bridge? Would it be possible

Sandy Bridge E are high end desktop/server CPUs that have a different
socket (lga2011) and likely a different memory controller (4 channels
instead of 2).
A quick look at datasheet says nothing about maximum rank size.

> to replace the 2620QM with an Ivy Bridge CPU?

Afaik that should be possible since the CPU is socketed on that model
but won't overcome your issue. (same limitation)

--
Arthur Heymans