[coreboot] T520 2630QM 16GB DIMM

Thomas Richter coreboot at tricnet.de
Tue Feb 21 17:15:20 CET 2017

Hi,

Zitat von Arthur Heymans <arthur at aheymans.xyz>:

>> TL;DR - Has anybody either successfully used 16GB DDR3 modules on
>> SandyBridge, can rule it out, or has ideas about how to dig deeper?
>
> According to Sandy bridge datasheets only up to 4GB DDR3 technology is
> supported, which makes it possibly to use dimms with 2 ranks, with each
> rank having a capacity of 4GB, hence max 8GB per DIMM.
> This is a hardware limitation.

Thank you for your answer. That's what I also read, but here it is
stated that some Asus Sandy Bridge boards support such modules:

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/first-8gb-ddr3-components-and-16gb-unbuffered-dimms--so-dimms-by-im-intelligent-memory-266613731.html

Is Sandy Bridge E so different from Sandy Bridge? Would it be possible
to replace the 2620QM with an Ivy Bridge CPU?

Best,

Thomas