[coreboot] KGPE-D16 and Samsung DDR3L memory sticks

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Feb 12 00:02:56 CET 2017

Dear Daniel,

Thank you for keeping us in the loop.

Am Samstag, den 11.02.2017, 16:14 +0100 schrieb Daniel Kulesz:
> To answer my question myself: It works partially.
>
> > 1.) Samsung M393B1K70DH0-YK0
> >
> > Type: DDR3 DIMM 240-Pin, reg ECC • Ranks/Banks: dual rank, x4 • Modules: 1x 8GB • JEDEC: PC3L-12800R • Voltage: 1.35V
>
> I got 8 of these working with one CPU package on the KGPE-D16 with
> one of the latest Coreboot master versions:

(Please note, that coreboot is officially spelled all lowercase.)

How much did you pay for these modules?

Just to be sure. You got 64 GB of RAM working. If you plug in more
modules, it fails, right?

> Version: 4.5-963-gf57a768

Please upload your logs to the board status repository. (This commit
has not been uploaded by REACTS, so it wouldn’t overwrite anything.)

> However, the experience was not very good because I did not fit all
> of them at once and started with testing "partical" configurations
> with just two or four modules inserted. In these cases, raminit
> succeeded but when detecting the PCI devices the system hang up -
> especially when placing 4 modules in the orange slots. Also, with
> coreboot-4.5, I only managed to get four modules working when placing
> them in the slots most far away from CPU0 (two orange, two black).
>
> Apart from that, the configured clock speed seems too low to me (the
> vendor bios runs the modules at 800 MHz instead of 667 MHz):
>
> Handle 0x0007, DMI type 17, 40 bytes
> Memory Device
>         Array Handle: 0x0006
>         Error Information Handle: Not Provided
>         Total Width: 72 bits
>         Data Width: 64 bits
>         Size: 8192 MB
>         Form Factor: DIMM
>         Set: None
>         Locator: NODE 0 DIMM_A1
>         Bank Locator: Not Specified
>         Type: DDR3
>         Type Detail: Synchronous Registered (Buffered)
>         Speed: 667 MHz
>         Manufacturer: Samsung
>         Serial Number: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>         Asset Tag: Not Specified
>         Part Number: M393B1K70DH0-YK0
>         Rank: 2
>         Configured Clock Speed: 667 MHz
>         Minimum Voltage: 1.35 V
>         Maximum Voltage: 1.5 V
>         Configured Voltage: 1.35 V

Without the logs, it’s hard to debug anything. Verbose logs are one of
the biggest advantages of coreboot. So please upload them, or attach
them.

Thanks,

Paul