[coreboot] KGPE-D16 and Samsung DDR3L memory sticks

Daniel Kulesz daniel.ina1 at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 11 16:14:05 CET 2017

To answer my question myself: It works partially.

> 1.) Samsung M393B1K70DH0-YK0
>
> Type: DDR3 DIMM 240-Pin, reg ECC • Ranks/​Banks: dual rank, x4 • Modules: 1x 8GB • JEDEC: PC3L-12800R • Voltage: 1.35V

I got 8 of these working with one CPU package on the KGPE-D16 with one of the latest Coreboot master versions:

Version: 4.5-963-gf57a768

However, the experience was not very good because I did not fit all of them at once and started with testing "partical" configurations with just two or four modules inserted. In these cases, raminit succeeded but when detecting the PCI devices the system hang up - especially when placing 4 modules in the orange slots. Also, with coreboot-4.5, I only managed to get four modules working when placing them in the slots most far away from CPU0 (two orange, two black).

Apart from that, the configured clock speed seems too low to me (the vendor bios runs the modules at 800 MHz instead of 667 MHz):

Handle 0x0007, DMI type 17, 40 bytes
Memory Device
        Array Handle: 0x0006
        Error Information Handle: Not Provided
        Total Width: 72 bits
        Data Width: 64 bits
        Size: 8192 MB
        Form Factor: DIMM
        Set: None
        Locator: NODE 0 DIMM_A1
        Bank Locator: Not Specified
        Type: DDR3
        Type Detail: Synchronous Registered (Buffered)
        Speed: 667 MHz
        Manufacturer: Samsung
        Serial Number: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
        Asset Tag: Not Specified