[coreboot] Best supported modern laptop?

Philipp Stanner stanner at posteo.de
Tue Feb 7 12:33:28 CET 2017

> Coreboot on brand new laptops isn't actually coreboot like it used to
> be, it has been reduced to a pathetic vestige of its former self -
> simply a shim loader layer that does next to nothing besides get the
> purism phonies all excited for a "free" firmware laptop.

Could I get some details on this please?

I presume the following: "old" coreboot (in the X60 for example) used
self-written code for hardware initalization (RAM setup, PCI config)
while modern coreboot uses the vendor code for this, embedded in a
coreboot frame?

If this doesn't speed up boot time (like someone mentioned before) at
least you would get rid of features like Intel AMT - and you still could
get a little speed advantage by starting the boot-loader or even Linux
directly out of the flash?