[coreboot] Interested in offering motherboards for autotest

Jeremy Banks korethr at gmail.com
Thu Dec 28 01:54:26 CET 2017

Hello,

I have some older motherboards I'd like to offer as QA targets for
autotest as described in the Testing section of Development Guidelines
on the wiki.[1] They are older boards, ranging from Slot 1 to Socket
AM3. Would the coreboot team have any interest in these, or are they too
obsolete to serve as QA targets?

Assuming there is interest, what is required for an autotest setup? The
wiki says "a permanent connection to the net, a host system and some
special circuitry," are required. How permanent of a connection is
required? Is something like a cable or DSL line in the US sufficient, or
is something closer to leased space at a datacenter facility needed?

Are there any particular requirements of a host system that necessitate
a particularly powerful system, or would a small single-board system
like a Raspberry Pi suffice?

Regarding the special circuitry: I assume this includes equipment for
flashing the ROM chip on the motherboard under test, a means of
controlling at least the motherboard's power switch and reset line, and
something to monitor output from the board so to verify it did boot
successfully (serial port?). Is this roughly accurate? Are there other
bits of the special circuitry that I am missing, or specific
brands/models of tools required to implement the special circuitry?

Regards,

Jeremy Banks

1. https://www.coreboot.org/Development_Guidelines#Testing