[coreboot] Support for a 2004 HP Workstation

Taiidan at gmx.com Taiidan at gmx.com
Thu Dec 7 04:49:40 CET 2017

On 12/06/2017 10:15 AM, Giancarlo A Jones wrote:

> Hi corebooters
>
> Just joined the list.
Hi :D welcome sir or madame!
> I have a Pentium 4 HP workstation (xw6200) with which the urge to tinker is strong. https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00215315. There is no webpage for the motherboard but there is a service manual. http://jp.ext.hp.com/lib/doc/manual/workstation/hp_workstation/c00213035.pdf
Honestly I don't think it is worth it.

You can buy a new-enough-to-be-useful motherboard for the Opteron C32 or
G34 sockets for around $30 used and there is a large amount of AMD
provided documentation for Fam15h (they used to be very kind to us :3)

It is a decent effort to port a board even when the silicon init code
already exists for its socket class (ex: KCMA-D8/KGPE-D16) so if I was
you I would do it for something that can be useful and fun thus more
rewarding IMO (you can play new games with a 6328 or 4386 CPU) and be a
service to the community (for those less committed the usual $300+ for a
D8/D16 turns them off, I myself only got mine as I needed a new gaming PC)
> I want to swap out the vendor bios for SeaBIOS purely out of the need to tinker.
SeaBIOS is a payload for coreboot or qemu - it doesn't do silicon init
on its own.
I for one like to use grub2 as a coreboot payload to skip the middle-man.