[coreboot] How is depreciating 95% of coreboot boards worth it for such minor improvements?

David Hendricks david.hendricks at gmail.com
Thu Aug 24 03:30:05 CEST 2017

On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 3:10 PM, Jonathan Neuschäfer <j.neuschaefer at gmx.net>
wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 09:44:30PM +0000, ron minnich wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 2:31 PM Taiidan at gmx.com <Taiidan at gmx.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Ah I see thanks for explaining.
> > >
> > > I had read all the AGESA boards were going to be removed, besides the
> > > asus D8/D16 those are the last and best owner controlled x86 boards.
> > > Is there a current list of boards to be removed?
> > >

> > I don't know, but I have brought this up from time to time. I believe
> that
> > if they've not got a maintainer for more than a year it is time for them
> > be removed.
>
> I think we should also take board_status[1] into account here. If a
> board has recently (for some value of "recently") been successfully
> booted into linux, the support can't be completely broken.

Correct, and going back thru Martin's blog (https://blogs.coreboot.org/
blog/author/martinroth/) that was the intention:
*To further clean things up, starting with the 4.8 release, any platform
that does not have a successful boot logged in the board_status repo in the
previous year (that is, within the previous two releases) will be removed
from the maintained coreboot codebase.*

Did that policy stuff ever get written up on a wiki page or somewhere more
easily searchable?

> I would like to have a list of all boards ever supported, along
> > with the last coreboot revision where they can be found.
>
> There is such a page in the wiki[2]. It's probably incomplete. It
> doesn't list commits, either.
>
> We could migrate it into git, maybe, and make it a requirement that
> every commit that deletes a board updates the list.

+1 to what Peter said - This feels like it could/should be scripted, run
periodically, and used to generate a wiki page. Now if only someone had a
few spare cycles to do it...