[coreboot] x86 : Puzzles about reset code

Patrick Georgi pgeorgi at google.com
Wed Aug 16 08:13:31 CEST 2017

> What is the meaning of hand coding?  In 16-bit mode, the last two bytes
are ignored.
This is _very_ old code. Back in the day, before we started to strongly
encourage people to use our compiler, we had to deal with tons of different
versions of the toolchain.
As the comment to the code indicates, 16bit relocations worked for some and
failed for others. Therefore we went for the safe route and manually
created a 32bit relocation.
We could probably clean up this part of the code now, but since so few
people are ever concerned with it (because it does exactly what it's
supposed to), there was no pressing need yet.

Regards,
Patrick
--
Google Germany GmbH, ABC-Str. 19, 20354 Hamburg
Registergericht und -nummer: Hamburg, HRB 86891, Sitz der Gesellschaft: