[coreboot] Making coreboot more accessible to end-users - ideas?

Taiidan at gmx.com Taiidan at gmx.com
Mon Aug 7 23:50:54 CEST 2017

I am mainly looking for opinions from both average sysadmins and power-users
Here are two sample questions and my replies.

What stops you or has stopped you from using coreboot on your primary
machines?
(Gaming - It needs to play the latest games if I am to spend decent
money on it as I don't have a good job right now - my D16 was my first
purchase/flash once I found out I could do that and now I have a few
other CB boards for other uses after I found out how really accessible
coreboot is.)

How can the end-user documentation be improved?

What advantages are you looking for in a system that has open source
(including init) firmware?
(Me - freedom, repair-ability and semi-obscure features like IOMMU that
actually work and can be easily fixed if they don't)

Some things I have done so far:
Recommended cpus list for several popular boards, as buying a low end
CPU then having unsatisfactory performance turns people away.
Board notes to provide warnings and advisories for coreboot/board
"gotchas" that discourage people, such as not knowing they need to run
fancontrol to have a quiet system

Things I want to do:
payload menuconfig for common payload configurations such as disabling
option roms, loading grub.cfg's from disks, etc.
List of boards with verified special functionality (iommu, egpu, etc)