[coreboot] Opteron 16 core Turbo 2 FYI

Taiidan at gmx.com Taiidan at gmx.com
Mon Aug 7 23:48:10 CEST 2017

In case anyone is wondering I found out that to get Turbo 2 on a 16 core
opteron CPU AMD means 4 threads per node (as an opteron 16 core is
technically two 8 core cpus in a single socket) not 8 threads on one
node with the other node idle, I couldn't find a mention of this on
AMD's site unfortunately - at least now I know as to why my turbo 2
seemingly wasn't working with more than 4 cores.

The linux scheduler isn't aware of this, or even aware of modules - it
will place threads on different modules wasting power and making it so
turbo 2 doesn't work. Threads must be assigned manually after using the
isolcpus command :[ unless there is something I am not aware of.