[coreboot] Support for AMD family f17h in coreboot

Alexandre Desnoyers alex at qtec.com
Fri Aug 4 13:43:12 CEST 2017

Hi,

I don't know if you're talking about the EPYC 7000 Series “Naples”
Embedded SOC, or a generic Ryzen/ZEN based desktop (both f17h)

According to the Processor Initialization package (PI = AGESA) available
under NDA for the Embedded EPYC, the new AGESA software architecture is
100% based on EDK-II TianoCore (UEFI).  I don't know how much work would
be needed to hook Coreboot into a TianoCore based source code tree....
which is *very* different from the old AGESA "Arch2008" that we've seen
in the past.  I don't know for a fact, but I haven't seen the
possibility of building an AGESA blob from the latest AGESA either.
License wise, it's pretty much impossible to merge Coreboot code with
proprietary AGESA code without a binary "blob".  And then someone has to
get the authorization from AMD to release that blob and associated
include files....

I cannot offer detailed thoughts from AMD regarding Coreboot, except
that they don't want to support it themselves anymore.... And that too
many US-based lawyers are involved....

Regards,

Alexandre Desnoyers
Electronic Design Engineer