[coreboot] chromeos-firmwareupdate

Julius Werner jwerner at chromium.org
Fri Apr 21 23:34:08 CEST 2017

+chromium-os-dev
bcc: coreboot

On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 11:27 AM, <tturne at codeaurora.org> wrote:

> Folks,
> If this query more correctly belongs on ChromiumOS list, I will re-post.

Yeah, it does. This tool is only related to Chromium OS (and in fact way
older than coreboot on Chromebooks).

> This utility appears to be the safe/practical way to interact with the
> coreboot firmware on an actual chromebook device.
> The factory image for kevin has this located at
> /usr/sbin/chromeos-firmwareupdate.
>
> I have locally built three "flavors" of kevin: "normal" dev and test.

(We call "normal" "base", btw. If you could build a firmware updater, all
of these images would have it.)

> I can boot all three of these images in Developer-Mode and none of them
> have /usr/sbin/chromeos-firmwareupdate present.
>
> Q.1) How do I get chromeos-firmwareupdate populated on a local build?  Do
> I have to generate a recovery image from my test image?

I think the difference here is whether you have access to the "internal"
Chromium manifest. (If you do, you should have a
'src/private-overlays/overlay-kevin-private' folder in your chroot. I
presume you don't.) For various reasons (non-free blobs, etc.) we sometimes
have to keep sources and ebuilds for components of Chrome OS internal. The
firmware updater ebuilds are all internal because they usually download a
stable firmware image from a Google server that is not accessible
externally.

It's possible to write your own ebuild that will build an updater from the
firmware you have (updater sources and infrastructure are all open-source
under 'src/platform/firmware') and merge it into your system image, but
it's kinda complicated if you're not familiar with ebuilds (and I can't
link you to a good template, unfortunately, since they're all internal). I
think you would have an easier time unpacking an existing firmware updater
(with chromeos-firmwareupdate --sb_extract), replacing the firmware
(bios.bin and ec.bin) with the one you want, and then repacking it
(--sb_repack) and copying it manually onto your image.