[coreboot] RFC: Changing CBMEM console to run as a persistent ring-buffer

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Apr 22 09:22:53 CEST 2017

[For the GRUB folks, this is about coreboot commit d67c6876 (Turn CBMEM
console into a ring buffer that can persist across reboots) [1].
Julius’ message can be find in the coreboot list archive [2].]

Dear Julius,

Am Montag, den 10.04.2017, 15:50 -0700 schrieb Julius Werner:

[…]

> The change may also cause some hiccups if you're using a newer version of
> coreboot with an older version of cbmem (or SeaBIOS or whatever else reads
> the console): it will not crash and it will still print the whole log, but
> if the log has rolled over (into "ring buffer mode") it will print lines
> out of order. This is unfortunately the best I can do with the way current
> readers are implemented. I'm of course also updating the code for cbmem so
> as soon as you deploy the new version it will be able to display buffers
> from both old and new coreboot versions correctly. (I'll send patches to
> align SeaBIOS and the Linux memconsole driver in the same manner as soon as
> the coreboot patch is approved.)

Could you please also check, if GRUB’s CBMEM console driver, and the
the command cbmemc to display it need any updates?

Thanks,

Paul

PS: Where can I get your S/MIME certificate, used to sign your email?

[1] https://review.coreboot.org/18301
[2] https://mail.coreboot.org/pipermail/coreboot/2017-April/083950.html