[coreboot] ThinkPad X230 alternative flash chips?

Trammell Hudson hudson at trmm.net
Sat Apr 15 08:34:06 CEST 2017

4 MB was quite limiting and it seemed like an artificial restriction,
especially since all the other machines have larger space available.
Since flashing both chips with an external programmer is a bit of a
pain, there is still a 4 MB version built with just flashrom and the
USB drivers.  So you can flash that one, reboot into it, mount your
flash drive and then run flashrom to write the full 7 MB image
with all the tools.

If the management engine is cleaned there is even more space available,
with the caveat that the e1000 ethernet stops working since the kernel
can't coordinate its handoff with the ME.

To paraphrase billg: "7MB ought to be enouh for anybody".

--
Trammell