[coreboot] Help on debug, add a new mainboard.

tturne at codeaurora.org tturne at codeaurora.org
Fri Apr 7 17:20:15 CEST 2017

On 2017-04-06 07:34, Kory Maincent wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I would like to learn how to add a new mainboard to coreboot.
> I have a Fujitsu D2990-A1, with chipset intel H61, sandybridge and a
> Superio Nuvoton NCT5571D.
> I use the autoport tools to generate the files.
> I know that I have to change them to add new configuration but I don't
> really know how.
> Can you help me to get started with the debug part or to give me some
> advice about it.

Hi Kory,
I started with Coreboot for an ARMv8 target last Fall, with no prior
exposure.
This outlines the steps I followed, close as I recall.

1) clone the repo, build the tools and build a "safe" target (e.g. one
of the emulator, qemu)
2) find a target board that uses same chipset as your target and build
3) copy mainboard/ directory to new one with your codename for a board
4) change config and function names, etc. to reflect new board
5) stub-out what needs to be stubbed out to get a build to complete

At this point you have a new sandbox for your board based on an existing
board that uses same chipset.
There are Kconfig files in the soc/ or cpu/ directory for your chipset
and the mainboard/ directory you created.
Typically you won't change the soc/ or cpu/ Kconfig, but you should be
aware of what the settings are.
Most of your configuration should occur within the Kconfig file in your
new mainboard/ directory.

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
T.mike