[coreboot] VGA and Graphics

Matt DeVillier matt.devillier at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 16:54:57 CEST 2017

On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 10:12 PM, Zoran Stojsavljevic <
zoran.stojsavljevic at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Matt,
>
> Pretty sure there is NO Option ROM, vBIOS and INT10H. Why INTEL for GOP
> uses VBT is point of debate. Probably just reduced functionality up to
> 1280x1024. So they have VBT to support BIOS phase GOP GFX. Only!
>

>From what I can tell, it's mainly used to provide the output connector
types/mapping to the GOP driver, as well as level shifting etc.

> But I am also 100% sure neither GOP, neither VBT survives post BIOS phase.
> It is out of mind to use VBT for WUXGA, or 1080p, or 4K displays, don't you
> agree? The detected GFX I/F are passed to Linux as Run Time info (via HOB).
> Then Linux brings from scratch GFX, using its own, modern I/Fs. And ports
> appropriate drivers to existing GFX info from HOB.

The VBT data is used by both the Linux and Windows display drivers (via the
OpRegion ACPI structure), and the latter will give you a nice black screen
if your VBT is missing or incorrectly configured.  As I noted above, it
appears to be used more for output/pipe info than display modes (which are
all generated from EDID, outside of standard VESA/CEA ones)