[coreboot] VGA and Graphics

Todd Weaver todd at puri.sm
Sun Apr 2 18:18:10 CEST 2017

On 04/01/2017 04:55 PM, Trammell Hudson wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 01, 2017 at 07:43:40PM +0000, ron minnich wrote:
>> Annnnnnnd with the linux payload we're back to linuxbios :-)
> It was a good idea in 1999, and it is still a good idea.

We *may* party like it's 1999 in 2017 then...

>> For a payload chooser and such I can offer two options:
>> 1) petitboot has a boot menu type thing
>> 2) u-root (u-root.tk) is going to have a boot menu type thing, as we've
>> been asked to do one.
> Heads is coming along in usability and has a strong focus on securing
> the boot process through TPM measurement and using the flash security
> features.

Trammell,
One of the three reasons we are including TPM in hardware is because of
your great talk at 33c3 on Heads! But I failed to see that it offered
"boot menu type thing"

> It fits the 4.9.20 Linux kernel + initrd into 4 MB, including
> all of the crypto, networking and other features.  The eventual user
> kernel (or Xen hypervisor and dom0 kernel) are GPG verified and invoked via
> kexec for a slightly more secure, legacy free boot process.

So this is referring more about "linux payload" than "boot menu type
thing" correct?

> More docs are online and pull requests are always appreciated:
>
> 	http://osresearch.net/

What we are looking at is to include or develop a solution that
accomplishes these goals:
1) allows us to skip most of vbios (but sounds like still needs the VBT)
2) deliver a payload that has a path toward securing the boot process
(e.g. Heads)
3) deliver a payload that can still offer a user to install their own OS
(thus allowing user-configuration and control)

Thanks for writing!

Todd.