[coreboot] Attempt to porting coreboot to Gigabyte ga-945gcm-s2l

Zoran Stojsavljevic zoran.stojsavljevic at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 08:12:36 CEST 2016

Hello Arthur,

CPUID 1067x? Penryn? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penryn_(microprocessor)
?!

It is long time off any radar screen for INTEL IOTG support, I can tell to
you this... Started production in 2007! :-(( WTH you need Coreboot on this
one?

"The WBINVD instruction is a privileged instruction. *When the processor is
running in protected mode, the CPL of a program or procedure must be 0 to
execute this instruction.* This instruction is also a serializing
instruction (see "Serializing Instructions" in Chapter 8 of the IA-32 Intel
Architecture Software Developer's Manual, Volume 3)."

Question to you: do you execute this instruction (WBINVD) in Ring 0
(kernel) mode? If you do, and it still hangs, I have for you a good
suggestion: try to replace WBINVD with INVD and see if you'll hang (simple
logic stands behind what I read there:
http://x86.renejeschke.de/html/file_module_x86_id_325.html).

If you hang: your problem is for sure/100% NOT raminit (in other words MRC);
If you do NOT hang, and continue: raminit (MRC) might be (but not
certainly???) your problem. If you hang later (while accessing DDRAM), then
it is obvious! ;-)

Good luck with this one,
Zoran