[coreboot] [RFC] Finding a conference call solution for the CCC

Martin Roth gaumless at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 19:33:44 CET 2016

We were thinking of switching to the mumble server that Chris Ching has set
up, but it doesn't seem to have any web client or way to work around that.

After looking at a number of solutions, I think the solution we'd like to
try at this point is Blue Jeans - bluejeans.com.  It's actually a paid
service at $120 per year.  I think the biggest advantage here is that it
supports a phone bridge, which makes many of the other features unnecessary.

Upsides:
- Telephone call-in with numbers in many countries:
https://bluejeans.com/numbers
- Native clients for Windows, Linux (RPM), OSX, IOS, and Android.
- Web interface (chrome only - other browsers are being deprecated)
- Maximum of 50 attendees per meeting - I think so far our highest
attendance has been 12 people or so.

Downsides:
- Not a free service - it costs $120 per year per host.  The cost may
increase in the future. They don't offer a discount for open-source
projects or non-profits at this scale.
- Web client only works with chrome/chromium
- Not an open source solution.

Annoyances:
- The native Linux client is only available as an rpm
- Only a single person (email address) can host a meeting.  I'm not sure of
how much an issue this really is - If we schedule the meetings in advance,
and it starts automatically, it may not be a problem.  If the host has to
join before anyone else can talk, that's not so good.

Let me know what you think.
Martin