[coreboot] [GSoC 2016] ROM-O-Matic project

ron minnich rminnich at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 23:30:44 CET 2016

That's great to hear. So it sounds like rom o matic would be handy.

That said, w.r.t. features. I'm not big on features. coreboot is a chance
to brick your laptop. That means
rom o matic should never ever ever give you a bad coreboot image.

What would be cool would be to have a program they can run that creates a
string, and the either you paste
that string into a form or it connects and pastes it in (but what about
DDOS?) and you get back a URL for an image
that is known to work. Could the coreboot board status repo be used to
determine this?

I think the messy part is that just because you have, say, an "x220",
doesn't mean coreboot works on it, because PCs
are never the same, even given the same number. So you need a very long
signature that can confirm the coreboot
running on everyone else's "x220" will work on yours.

Do we have any record as to how uniform, e.g., the x220 experience has
been? I know the chromebook uniformity is pretty good.

ron