[coreboot] [GSoC 2016] ROM-O-Matic project

Alexander Couzens lynxis at fe80.eu
Thu Mar 10 00:01:16 CET 2016

On Wed, 09 Mar 2016 22:30:44 +0000
ron minnich <rminnich at gmail.com> wrote:

> That's great to hear. So it sounds like rom o matic would be handy.
>
> That said, w.r.t. features. I'm not big on features. coreboot is a
> chance to brick your laptop. That means
> rom o matic should never ever ever give you a bad coreboot image.

> What would be cool would be to have a program they can run that
> creates a string, and the either you paste
> that string into a form or it connects and pastes it in (but what
> about DDOS?) and you get back a URL for an image
> that is known to work. Could the coreboot board status repo be used to
> determine this?
>
> I think the messy part is that just because you have, say, an "x220",
> doesn't mean coreboot works on it, because PCs
> are never the same, even given the same number. So you need a very
> long signature that can confirm the coreboot
> running on everyone else's "x220" will work on yours.
>
> Do we have any record as to how uniform, e.g., the x220 experience has
> been? I know the chromebook uniformity is pretty good.
They are uniform, beside the case of the spi. Most x220 have a spi in a
SOIC8, but some have a WSON or mlp8 case.

I had problems with my x220 because I desolered the wson chip and
soldered a SOIC8 which wasn't quite supported by coreboot. I say the
"normal" coreboot user wouldn't do that ;). They only use a clip.

Best,
lynxis
--
Alexander Couzens

mail: lynxis at fe80.eu
jabber: lynxis at fe80.eu
mobile: +4915123277221
gpg: 390D CF78 8BF9 AA50 4F8F  F1E2 C29E 9DA6 A0DF 8604