[coreboot] [RFC] Proposal for policy for changing the development guidelines

Martin Roth gaumless at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 03:54:40 CET 2016

Alex,
  Please stop already.  We know you don't agree with the decision.
Stefan has agreed privately that he shouldn't have submitted those,
and that it set a bad precedent.  As you say in your email, *YOU* even
questioned it when he did it, and he agreed that he would change them
from Intel syntax to AT&T syntax.

The "change" WAS to formalize an unwritten rule that had been broken a
few times in the past. There was significant discussion in several
meetings about the reasons for and against standardizing on AT&T
syntax.  Many of us, including myself, learned x86 assembly using
Intel syntax, and find it easier to read.  Mixing Intel syntax with
AT&T syntax is just confusing and seems like bad practice.  Because of
this, the decision was made to go with AT&T syntax only.   It was NOT
done to spite you, whatever you might believe.

If you have a reason for using Intel syntax that is really more
persuasive than keeping the asm code in the project consistent, feel
free to state it.  Otherwise, PLEASE let's move on.

Martin