[coreboot] RFC: coding style: "standard" defines

Alex G. mr.nuke.me at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 18:57:28 CET 2016

On 02/08/2016 11:29 AM, Julius Werner wrote:
>>> How about something like src/include/please_dont_use.h ?
>>>
>> I don't know about that but I'd have no objection to a comment in the file
>> itself that these are vile constructs.
>
> If we agree on what not to use, why not just fix it completely?
> coccinelle is great for that sort of thing.
> (For the record, I don't mind BIT(x) too much but I also prefer (1 <<
> x), since it's more consistent with multi-bit fields like (5 << x).)

Other than BITxx macros, really, what's the purpose of this? Sure,
standardization sounds great, but can anyone point to reasons why _not_
standardizing results in loss of productivity? As I've said before, we
do import code from other codebases, which oftentimes are not even
self-consistent. There's loss in productivity from being forced to
convert one style of bit macro to another.

Just from that, it seems that trying to "standardize" is a net loss.
Pretty code is useless when it's slow and clumsy to write.

Alex