[coreboot] Offering Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 for porting

Merlin Büge toni at bluenox07.de
Fri Dec 16 14:09:33 CET 2016

Hi,

Taiidan and Renze, thank you for your responses.

On Fri, 16 Dec 2016 03:46:07 +0100
Renze Nicolai <renze at rnplus.nl> wrote:
> I am interested in porting Coreboot to your GA-890FXA-UD5.
> A month ago I succesfully ported coreboot to my MS-7721
> (FM2-A75MA-E35) motherboard and having a go at porting another AMD
> board to coreboot would be a good opportunity for me to learn more
> about coreboot.

That sounds good. I'd love to try it myself, but at the moment I don't
feel like I have enough time for it. I'm also quite new to coreboot and
have plenty to learn about it, so I guess I should start somewhere else.

> Since I can not guarantee that I will succeed. Therefore I propose
> that in case of failure the provided hardware will be returned to you
> so that you can find someone else to give it a go.
>
> If you want me to work on porting coreboot to your board we should
> work out the details privately. Please contact me directly
> (renze at rnplus.nl).

Sure! I'll write you an email today.

> Can someone more experienced please confirm that coreboot has support
> for the AMD 890FX northbridge, the AMD SB850 southbridge and the ITE
> IT8720 superio chip?

I'm not sure, but I found this:
https://www.coreboot.org/Board:amd/south_station
... which according to
https://www.coreboot.org/Supported_Motherboards/old
has a SB850 and seems to be supported by coreboot.

I could not find any further info on that board though...

By the way, the Gigabyte mainboard has a "Dual BIOS" setup:
https://www.coreboot.org/Gigabyte_Dual_bios

I guess this could impose obstacles.

It seems that there has been done work about it already:
https://www.mail-archive.com/coreboot@coreboot.org/msg23613.html
https://www.mail-archive.com/linuxbios@linuxbios.org/msg05929.html

(Taiidan:)
> > What would be really swell is a port to a nice 9xx series
> > motherboard,
> > both are quite old but the 8xx is even older.

Heh, when I read specs on those, they both still sound absolutely
high-end to me :P  I find it strenuous to keep up with current tech
trends...

Thanks,

Merlin

--