[coreboot] coreboot binary policy

Alex Gagniuc mr.nuke.me at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 18:59:08 CET 2015

On Fri, Oct 30, 2015 at 9:03 AM, Marc Jones <marcj303 at gmail.com> wrote:
> It might be a good idea, but that might be too limiting

I think historically, it has been assumed that everything in blobs is
open up for RE and modification. There are plenty of examples of
people reverse-engineering stuff in blobs, and also modifying the blob
itself [1]. First and foremost, we should protect the project, and
with that, our contributors.

We can have a process where we might grant exceptions from these
(proposed) rules to certain non-ISA blobs. For example, we might
exempt microcode on the basis that (we believe) It's impractical to
RE, and keeping that avenue open is not of any particular value.

> and we would have to remove all blobs and they would be hosted somewhere else

We can grandfather in existing blobs, or we can have a process where
we keep them for a while (a year?) while we try to work out
appropriate licensing terms with the power-that-be of said blob.

[1] http://review.coreboot.org/4605

Alex