[coreboot] Error building Coreboot for MinnowBoard Max in Debian 7.6 (Wheezy)

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Tue May 19 07:31:27 CEST 2015

Dear Juan,

Am Montag, den 18.05.2015, 21:05 +0000 schrieb black015 at crimson.ua.edu:

> This is my first time writing to the email list to ask for some help
> or insights about my problems building Coreboot. I apologize if I make
> some mistakes while attempting to communicate.

Welcome to coreboot! Please just send plain text message with no HTML
parts to mailing lists.

> My problem:
>
> I am trying to build Coreboot for my MinnowBoard Max following the
> instructions found in this book: Embedded Firmware Solutions:
> Development Best Practices for the Internet of Things. While executing
> “make crossgcc-i386” within the coreboot folder, the make throws this
> error:
>
> configure:3602:  /home/juan/fsp_coreboot/coreboot/util/crossgcc/build-i386-elf-gcc/./gcc/xgcc -B/home/juan/fsp_coreboot/coreboot/util/crossgcc/build-i386-elf-gcc/./gcc/ -B/home/juan/fsp_coreboot/coreboot/util/crossgcc/xgcc/i386-elf/bin/ -B/home/juan/fsp_coreboot/coreboot/util/crossgcc/xgcc/i386-elf/lib/ -isystem /home/juan/fsp_coreboot/coreboot/util/crossgcc/xgcc/i386-elf/include -isystem /home/juan/fsp_coreboot/coreboot/util/crossgcc/xgcc/i386-elf/sys-include    -c -O2  conftest.c >&5
> cc1: internal compiler error: Illegal instruction
> 0x8844bf crash_signal
>  ../../gcc-4.9.2/gcc/toplev.c:337
> 0x6ef7f8 ggc_min_expand_heuristic
>  ../../gcc-4.9.2/gcc/ggc-common.c:840
> 0x6f02a8 init_ggc_heuristics()
>  ../../gcc-4.9.2/gcc/ggc-common.c:899
> 0x885984 general_init
>  ../../gcc-4.9.2/gcc/toplev.c:1176
> Please submit a full bug report,
> Please include the complete backtrace with any bug report.
> See <http://gcc.gnu.org/bugs.html> for instructions.
> configure:3606: $? = 1
> configure: failed program was:
> | /* confdefs.h */
> | #define PACKAGE_NAME "GNU C Runtime Library"
> | #define PACKAGE_TARNAME "libgcc"
> | #define PACKAGE_VERSION "1.0"
> | #define PACKAGE_STRING "GNU C Runtime Library 1.0"
> | #define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT ""
> | #define PACKAGE_URL "http://www.gnu.org/software/libgcc/"
> | /* end confdefs.h.  */
> |
> | int
> | main ()
> | {
> |
> |   ;
> |   return 0;
> | }
> configure:3620: error: in `/home/juan/fsp_coreboot/coreboot/util/crossgcc/build-i386-elf-gcc/i386-elf/libgcc':
> configure:3623: error: cannot compute suffix of object files: cannot compile
> See `config.log' for more details.
>
> In any case, I am attaching the full “config.log” for you to review - if possible at all.

Did you forget to attach it?

> I am running Debian 7.6 inside VirtualBox in an AMD A8-4500M Machine (64-bit)

Debian 7.6 has GCC 4.7.2 [1], right? You can try to build coreboot with
the distribution toolchain (in the general section in the Kconfig menu
choose to build with any toolchain). Please remember that this is not
supported and might not work.

Also, you can try Debian Jessie with GCC 4.9.2.

Thanks,

Paul

[1] https://packages.debian.org/search?suite=wheezy&keywords=gcc