[coreboot] Error building Coreboot for MinnowBoard Max in Debian

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Tue May 19 05:51:03 CEST 2015

black015 at crimson.ua.edu wrote:
> While executing “make crossgcc-i386” within the coreboot folder,
> the make throws this error:
>
> configure:3602:  /home/juan/fsp_coreboot/coreboot/util/crossgcc/build-i386-elf-gcc/./gcc/xgcc -B/home/juan/fsp_coreboot/coreboot/util/crossgcc/build-i386-elf-gcc/./gcc/ -B/home/juan/fsp_coreboot/coreboot/util/crossgcc/xgcc/i386-elf/bin/ -B/home/juan/fsp_coreboot/coreboot/util/crossgcc/xgcc/i386-elf/lib/ -isystem /home/juan/fsp_coreboot/coreboot/util/crossgcc/xgcc/i386-elf/include -isystem /home/juan/fsp_coreboot/coreboot/util/crossgcc/xgcc/i386-elf/sys-include    -c -O2  conftest.c >&5
> cc1: internal compiler error: Illegal instruction
..
> Thank you beforehand for any help or insights you may be able to provide.

So the C compiler in your distribution (apparently gcc-4.9.2) seems
to have been built for a machine with some capabilities that the
machine you are using does not support or implement.

Your best bet is probably to try a different Linux distribution.
I'm afraid I can not make a recommendation. Several distributions
ship broken toolchains. Investigate what distributions others have
used for development (of any kind, not coreboot) with your particular
combination of hardware and hypervisor.

//Peter