[coreboot] SeaBIOS boot menu key changed to ESC

Kevin O'Connor kevin at koconnor.net
Wed Mar 18 17:48:15 CET 2015

On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 05:38:19PM +0100, Peter Stuge wrote:
> Kevin O'Connor wrote:
> > If the old key is desired, one can still activate it by placing 0x86
> > in the CBFS file "/etc/boot-menu-key" (cbfstool build/coreboot.rom
> > add-int -i 0x86 -n etc/boot-menu-key)
>
> Neat!
>
> > along with the old boot message in "/etc/boot-menu-message".
>
> I can see this being a source of usability issues. Is there any way
> to reasonably generate the message from the scan code?

It's a pain to attempt to auto-generate the message.  If someone is
updating flash with a CBFS file for the key, I don't think it is too
hard to also update CBFS with the desired message.  Also, if one uses
a bootsplash image, then boot-menu-message isn't seen anyway (in that
case the boot key message needs to be encoded into the bootsplash
graphics if it is desired).

FYI, the boot-menu-key / boot-menu-message files aren't new.  They
were used in the past to change to ESC on several machines.  The only
recent change is using ESC as the default.

-Kevin