[coreboot] Lenovo X60: GRUB_GFXMODE=1024x768 only works with docking station connected

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Jan 17 21:31:53 CET 2015

Dear coreboot folks,

Am Mittwoch, den 14.01.2015, 22:53 +0100 schrieb Paul Menzel:

> on the Lenovo X60s, running coreboot with SeaBIOS as payload, adding the
> two lines below to GRUB’s configuration in `/etc/default/grub`
>
>         GRUB_GFXMODE=1024x768
>         GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=keep
>
> and running `update-grub`, which updates GRUB 2.02~beta2-20 (Debian
> Jessie/testing) in the MBR,

a small correction, phcoder pointed out to me in
#coreboot at irc.freenode.net that `update-grub` only updates
`/boot/grub/grub.cfg` and does not install GRUB in the MBR.

> it does only work, when the laptop is attached to the docking station
> (nothing attached to the docking station).

To clarify, does not work means, that only a resolution of 640×480 is
chosen and not 1024×768.

phcoder also said, that it is probably a Video BIOS issue as GRUB does
not do anything special. GRUB’s command `vbeinfo` also lists the
resolution 1024×768.

> Those of you with a Lenovo system, could you please try to reproduce
> this? Also if you still have the vendor firmware, it’d be great to get
> some data points. Any hints, how to debug this issue are also
> appreciated.

For testing, I flashed the vendor BIOS to the device and there
`GRUB_GFXMODE=1024x768` does not have any effects at all and without and
with the port replicator/ultrabase/docking station only a resolution of
640×480 is used.

Ideas to get that to work with the Video BIOS? It’s needed to get the
fastboot of Linux’ i915 module to work.

Thanks,

Paul