[coreboot] Can I upstream an UEFI payload binary for MinnowMax board project

Patrick Georgi patrick at georgi-clan.de
Wed Feb 4 14:21:53 CET 2015

Am 2015-02-04 01:18, schrieb Yang, York:
> Can I upstream an UEFI payload binary for MinnowMax board project?
No. We don't ship payload binaries, and there's no reason to start doing
that.
coreboot is an Open Source project.

> The reason is we want to reduce the effort that coreboot user spends to
> build one.

> UEFI payload contains two component, 1) is EDK2 infrastructure in
> tianocore.org, and 2) coreboot library and package in
> firmware.intel.com/develop. User need to download them separately, and
> put them together, and build it.

I like to think that the corebootPkg sources are rather easy to obtain:
$ git clone https://github.com/pgeorgi/edk2

So the reason that your UEFI payload's sources are harder to assemble
must be a problem within that project and its processes, not something
that's fundamental to Tianocore based payloads.

For example, I can't imagine a single good reason why that firmware site
ships Open Source code in an encrypted zip file.

> It could be improved in the future, but for now it takes time.

Then take the time. What incentive is left to improve things in the
future if users can simply be diverted to those binaries?

Patrick