[coreboot] Beginner Working on Asus Q87T

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Apr 6 19:44:44 CEST 2015

Dear Tim,

Am Montag, den 06.04.2015, 12:55 -0400 schrieb Tim Vrakas:
> Hello! This is my first time doing anything with coreboot, so please
> forgive my newbie mistakes.

welcome to coreboot!

> I am working to add support for my motherboard (Asus Q87T) to coreboot.
> Here are the basic specs:
>
> -Haswell CPU (Supported)
> -Intel Q87 (C220) PCH (Supported)
> -NUVOTON NCT5538D Super-IO (NOT Supported)
>
> I had to send the board back for a warranty replacement (not coreboot
> related), so I have not done any dumps from software. I was not able to get
> access to a datasheet for the Super-IO.
>
> How should I proceed? Does anyone have any information about this chip (or
> a similar one)?

To my knowledge, Nuvoton will send you the datasheet for your Super I/O
chip if you contact them. Please try that first.

> Can I get basic functionality without the Super-IO?

It depends. Normally, a similar chip is taken which is often compatible
for at least serial console output.

> Can I reverse-engineer support for it?

Sure you can. But that is probably quiet hard compared to requesting the
datasheet. You can analyze the vendor firmware and find out how the
Super I/O is initialized.

Another way is to look if the support for your Super I/O exists in the
Linux kernel sources (lmsensors) to find out more about it.

Good luck with implementing support for your device!

Thanks,

Paul

PS: Please send just plain text messages to mailing lists with no HTML
parts.