[coreboot] License headers

Patrick Georgi pgeorgi at google.com
Thu Apr 2 19:07:57 CEST 2015

Hi,

we had some fun discussion a while back about the license headers we
use in our tree. Asking legal experts, they proposed we go for keeping
the usual GPL license header intact, only stripping the FSF address
(which gave the most churn on licenses in our tree, and as you can see
in the commit below, we didn't even do a good job on keeping those
current, or uniform).

The rationale is that there are tools and work flows that expect
license markers to be in some kind of 'normal form', and that's the
one that exists for the GPL.

Just like they typically have no opinion about firmware development
matters (although lawyers are a weird bunch, some even write great
graphics card drivers!), I have little to say about their opinion on
license matters, so my proposal is to follow expert advice.

http://review.coreboot.org/#/c/9233/ is my work in progress towards
that goal. It's not complete yet, and I'd love to have some automated
verification in our 'lint' tool set to make sure that no FSF addresses
creep in once we exorcised them.

I deliberately kept util/kconfig as-is to keep changes compared to its
upstream to a minimum.

Patrick
--
Google Germany GmbH, ABC-Str. 19, 20354 Hamburg
Registergericht und -nummer: Hamburg, HRB 86891, Sitz der Gesellschaft: Hamburg