[coreboot] Question about status of coreboot on the Samsung XE303CE ARM Chromebook (snow)

James MacMahon jwm at operand.ca
Thu Jan 30 18:53:01 CET 2014

Hi everyone,

Quick question: what is the status of coreboot + some payload being used with
the Samsung XE303CE ARM Chromebook (snow)?

The page at [http://www.coreboot.org/Chromebooks] says 'Snow has das U-Boot
nativly installed, but a coreboot port is available.', and the page at
[http://www.coreboot.org/Supported_Motherboards] has 'Google Snow - Samsung
Exynos 5250' under the 'Motherboards supported in coreboot', but I haven't been
able to find any blog / example of anyone actually flashing coreboot + some
payload and booting their Chromebook like a regular computer.

It seems like there is a port available but no one has tried it from start to
finish on the ARM Chromebook (where my definition of finish in this context is
'booting with coreboot to stock Debian Linux', for example). I'm very keen on
doing this myself, and was hoping to find some example that I could read through
or even follow. This whole process of flashing a new BIOS is very new to me, and
I'm wary because of the potential to easily brick my device (however I'm not
scared off by reflashing or external chip programming if it comes to it, I'd
just like to avoid it).

Thanks for your time,
James