[coreboot] Shortened in types (u32) vs stdint types (uint32_t)

Aaron Durbin adurbin at chromium.org
Wed Jan 29 14:39:43 CET 2014

On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 6:37 PM, ron minnich <rminnich at gmail.com> wrote:
> Standardizing on the short names is easy. Converting to them is even
> easier, via spatch. I'll +2 such patches :-)
>
> We can make the cut in less time than it takes to discuss it :-)
>
> I'm not that concerned either way, except that, historically, coreboot
> has gone with the short names.

I personally don't think there should be any sort of standard. We
should accept patches that come in any form. I also might add that the
kernel allows such types:
http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/include/linux/types.h

I haven't heard any technical arguments as to only allow the short
names, and our own stdint.h provides the uintX_t variants. For the
people that find typing uintX_t hard then they are free to use the
short ones. I don't think that adds any barrier to readability. Both
sets of types describe the bit width which is the most important.

-Aaron