[coreboot] [RFC] Short license headers

mrnuke mr.nuke.me at gmail.com
Sat Jan 18 20:01:05 CET 2014

On 01/18/2014 11:12 AM, Paul Menzel wrote:
>         "This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
>          * under the terms of the GNU General Public License version 2 as published
>          * by the Free Software Foundation, incorporated herein by reference."
>
>         and then we can avoid this silly and unending address
>         discussion.
>
> (Note that Ron’s text disallows later versions of the GPL, which is
> probably a mistake, which should be corrected.)

Whether code is licensed under GPLv2 or GPLv2+ is up to the individual
contributor.

> It would be great if some “authority” could comment or some lawyer could
> chime in, so that the texts in the repository do not become a mess as
> some of Alex’ patch sets already have been committed.

The only mess is the long headers that include the address of the FSF.

<ianal>

<propietary_developer>: "Judge, I wrote to the address indicated in the
header to get the full text, but I received no reply. Since we could not
obtain the text of the license, we were not aware what conditions we had
to comply to. How can this be a breach of contract since we never
received the contract in the first place? "
<Judge>: "Judgment for the defendant! [hammer strike]"

</ianal>

Alex