[coreboot] AMD laptop recommendation (was: BadBIOS Thoughts)

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Jan 1 16:09:06 CET 2014

Dear Ron, dear Alex,

Am Mittwoch, den 20.11.2013, 12:19 -0600 schrieb Alex G.:
> On 11/20/2013 09:23 AM, ron minnich wrote:
> > I've got a student coming in January and he's going to work on
> > ChromeOS on AMD CPUs, starting with the Gizmo. If, at that time,
> > someone has a suggestion for an AMD laptop which might be suitable,
> > let me know.
>
> Would you care to elaborate on that?

Ron, could you please define, what you mean by »suitable«? Like easily
hackable to put coreboot on it?

> As much as I hate HP, they do seem to have some of the best AMD-based
> laptops. I would look at the ProBook 655 G1 / 645 G1 or the HP ProBook
> 6475b.

I got the Ultrabook Asus U38N-C4010H with the processor A8-4555M and the
chipset AMD A70M (Hudson M3). As it is an Ultrabook it looks pretty
nice, but the hardware is highly integrated and not easily accessible.
I’ll put Debian GNU/Linux on it now and keep you posted with further
information about the Linux support (useful for Chrome OS support) if
you are interested.

[…]

Thanks,

Paul