[coreboot] [flashrom] About flashing mx25l4005 on Itona TC2331

Idwer Vollering vidwer at gmail.com
Tue May 14 22:05:06 CEST 2013

2013/5/14 Bin X <z2333 at outlook.com>:
> I apologize if it does not make sense at all since this is my first attempt
> to flash a bios with unmatched bios ID.
>
> I was trying to flash bios on a Itona TC2331 to get rid of the limitation
> they put on of any IDE HDD and USB HDD can’t be larger than 64mb.

coreboot can do that, but you have to spend 'some' time on adding
support for your particular mainboard.

See http://b2b.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3215#sp
("Chipset VIA CN700 chipset with VIA VT8237R Plus") and
http://www.coreboot.org/Supported_Chipsets_and_Devices

> The current bios rom, flash program and documentation can be found here:
>
> ftp://ftpguest:letmein@ftp.vxl.net/../Utilities/BIOS/TC23YY/
>
> Since I don’t have any working rom so I am hoping to use the file from this
> board
>
> http://b2b.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3215#dl
>
> Because they are from the same vendor and used the same chipset. I
> understand it may not work at all but decide to take the risk.
>
> However, I can’t find any program to flash the bios that can ignore the bios
> ID. The vendor provided one can flash the bios but does not have the option
> to ignore the unmatched bios ID. Flashrom failed at probing the chipset.
>
> The building Q-Flash tells that it is MX25L4005 which should be supported by
> Flashrom.   I also tried “internal:laptop=this_is_not_a_laptop” and still no
> success.

It's very good that you found that programmer parameter. However, the
Gigabyte product picture shows that this (non-VXL) board uses LPC
flash instead of SPI.

What we're interested in is what flashrom's output looks like when
there is - your words - no success. Does its output end with many
times "<hexadecimal value>:S"?