[coreboot] coreboot on a Toshiba A100-151 laptop?

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Mon May 13 22:59:39 CEST 2013

Hi Daniel,

d-fischer at gmx-topmail.de wrote:
> unsure if coreboot could work on my machine under real conditions
> after flashing.

Always assume no. With the right background and some months of
development the answer can become yes.

> avoid making mistakes

You don't have much choice; either become a coreboot developer, or
hire a coreboot developer to work for you, or give up the idea of
using coreboot on your machine.

> or to brick my laptop at the end.

If you want to become a developer you'll brick your laptop many times
during development, so one thing you need to sort out fairly early is
how you will unbrick your laptop. You will typically need to do some
soldering in the machine, and you'll need a suitable flash programmer.

> I hope to meet here some friendly persons who are willing to help.

coreboot folks may be friendly, but it's completely infeasible for
anyone else to port coreboot to your machine for you. Adding a new
system, even when components are supported like in your case,
requires time-intensive work and moderately advanced electronics
debugging equipment. (A 33MHz-capable programmable logic analyzer, or
experience with programmable logic development in order to hack
something.)

> In view of the fact, that my model hasn't been supported yet by
> coreboot I would like to provide all needed information

You'll have to provide a patch, not just information. Nobody else
can create a port for you.

> thank you for your commitment concerning this great open source project

You're welcome.

> ambition to use open source software. I would appreciate your support
> so that coreboot might natively run on my system.

I'm afraid that seems unlikely. :\

//Peter